Heart, Seoul & Mind

My study abroad in Korea

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Korean Poetry

DSC_0503_1

As part of the study abroad, Dr. Peterson wants us to memorize two different Korean poems. One is a shijo poem (시조) which is reminiscent of haiku (which is Japanese) in the fact that each line has a certain number of syllables, etc. But this one is written by Kim Sowol (김소월) in the early 20th century. It has a similar feel to the folk song "Arirang"...the English translation is pretty rough and is close to a literal translation save for the second verse with which I took some liberties. I memorized this poem a few weeks back and "passed it off" by reciting it while on the road to Dr. P and the rest of the group. Yay! Only problem is I don't think I have more than the first verse memorized still...heheh...

The photo is of a pink azalea - I didn't know this before, but azaleas are part of the rhododendron family. I'd been walking past them all the time and didn't even know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I'm a Senior at BYU studying Genetics and Biotechnology. Graduation is just around the corner -- time is flying by! This blog is for all my friends and family around the world who want to keep up with what I'm getting up to.
Powered by Blogger.

Followers